- Operations Research
- Required language
- Dutch, English
- 40 hours a week
- Starts all-year through
Simulation has been the core of TBA's activities since it was founded. We have clients in all kinds of businesses, mostly in logistics in general and container terminals in particular. We apply simulation modeling on all kinds of levels, depending on the goal of the simulation.
Since the start of the company, TBA has always stood at the forefront of simulation as a discipline. Within the container terminal industry, we pioneered the integration of simulation into the entire terminal lifecycle from design to operations. Nowadays, our models are the the most widely used (and validated) models available on the market. This has made us the de facto leader in container terminal simulation worldwide.
Your task as a simulation consultant
As a simulation consultant at TBA in our Delft office (The Netherlands), you will be faced with the challenge of developing simulation models for our customers around the globe. You will work on the further development of our simulation object library.
When a customer-specific simulation project is carried out, our consultants configure and extend the model based on the customer's needs. They then analyze the results and create reports to answer the client's questions. As each of our customers has different requirements, we need people who are strong analytically and can come up with creative solutions, while also being very meticulous in their work.
Finally, in some projects where we study existing terminals, we need to spend time on-site to investigate the state of affairs. Depending on their qualifications, our simulation consultants will visit terminals to gather input for our simulations, to present results, or to assist in the implementation of performance improvement measures.
Our ideal simulation consultant fits the following profile:
- Relevant education on university level, and affinity with logistics and simulation.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Structured and meticulous working approach.
- Experience in at least 1 programming language, preferably Java or C++.
- High level of proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Willingness to travel on an incidental basis.
- Team player with a hands-on mentality.
We have the following to offer:
- Work in an international team with customers around the world.
- Continuous professional challenges.
- Small company culture aimed at results.
Interested in this job?
If this job description sparks your interest and you would enjoy working in an innovative, young and dedicated team, please apply here
- 40 hours a week
- Starts all-year through
To stay at the forefront of developments in the container handling business and to consolidate our leading position in the field of software for automated container equipment, TBA is constantly working on various R&D initiatives. These initiatives are often supported by students from various universities. We mostly work with students with a background in Operations Research, Engineering or Computer Science, but we are also looking for students that have affinity with simulation and modelling of logistic processes.
Examples of subjects for internships at TBA:
- Creating a deadlock free routing and claiming algorithm for automated vehicles in a network of nodes and edges.
- Studying an autonomous vehicle routing system and compare it with a centrally controlled system.
- Investigating the use of priority claiming in a routing system for automated vehicles.
- Deploying more intelligence in the conflict control between manned trucks to model more accurately human behavior.
- Analyzing storage requirements for bulk terminals by studying the stochastic arrival patterns and determine a procedure for estimating the required storage size.
- Comparing different solver packages for solving a scheduling problem using mixed-integer linear programming.
An internship typically takes around 6 months.
Why do an Internship at TBA?
Solving complex problems and designing large-scale systems using advanced models and tools. With more than 100 employees, TBA is a rapidly growing consultancy company that uses simulation, emulation and software to optimize the logistic processes of container terminals, intermodal facilities, airports, manufacturing plants and other logistic systems all over the world. TBA was founded in 1996 and is still carefully expanding its business across the globe, whilst maintaining a leading position in advanced applications for container terminals.
Are you interested?
We would be happy to further define a subject together with you and your supervisor. For more information, please click here.